Being made on computers, this website has accrued a much bigger proportion of tech talk than I usually go in for.
Despite a fierce interest in ethics around computing, it is out of physical necessity that I do (extremely amateur) programming, to facilitate my own access to electronic resources and communication. I would have rathered write computer games as theatre! In compromise, I generally construct for poetry, over other qualities.
Nevertheless, please, let’s advocate for:
- a vast and living public domain corpus striving to meet all peoples’ needs in both software and hardware
- workers’ rights most of all in manufacturing, waste management, logistics, call‐centres, content‐screening, and other hazardous labour on which contemporary tech rests
- ramping up environmentalist and anti‐imperialist laws, critiques, and practice
- community ownership of infrastructure
- multicultural and multilingual literate programming
- demystifying so‐called “consumer” tech, shaming and resisting surveillance, universally implementing and maintaining measures that work to defend the most vulnerable users and vulnerable bystanders, and shattering capitalist lenses on social and material experience
- serious reimagining of media literacy education, for all ages
- and so on, yeah?